Sunday, April 25, 2010

Early basic training (a work in progress)...

I am not an expert. I do a lot of research via Internet and Animal Planet. I have also volunteered a few years at a no kill shelter in Beacon NY. I pick out what I think will work and stick with what Maverick responds to best. I prefer to train him myself rather than drag him to obedience classes which I'm not entirely sure will work anyway.

Find the motivator! (I find food and toys to be the most common)

Maverick will do just about anything for a piece of food. I use puppy biscuits and ham. I have his full attention when he knows I have food for him. Well, unless a squirrel happens to wave through the window.

I train him by saying his name first, then the command. Hes rewarded when he figures it out and responds positively. There is no need to shout at a dog if he doesn't do as told. Trust me, he will be more receptive to a calm/firm voice.

Most huskies like Maverick are very intelligent and pick up training quite easily. That doesn't mean he will always do as he is asked even if he knows how to do it. Maverick sometimes will sass me or talk back. His basic commands he learned in a day...Sit, lay down, and give paw.

"Stay" took a couple of days to learn. I practice this command with the help of my daughter. She would place a bowl of food about 6 feet from him and we would tell him to stay for 10 secs and then give him a command of"OK" signaling its time to eat.

I have always had Kouri feed Maverick, I encouraged her to put her hands in and near the food, take it away from him and give it back. I do this with his toys and bones as well. He was a little growly at first with the bones, but soon learned that any negative behavior resulted in his stuff being taken away. I encourage this if you have small children! I am at the point where I can leave a piece of ham or biscuit sitting on Maverick's paw and he won't eat it until I say its okay!


No comments:

Post a Comment